Friday, September 16, 2011

FX premieres

Yesterday FX had two great premieres to kick off the fall television season: "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "Archer." I was excited for both shows to premiere and their first episodes did not disappoint.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Frank's Pretty Woman

The Paddy's Pub gang is back and I don't mean just that the show is back on the air; the gang is back to their old despicable, scheming ways that I enjoyed so much in the first few seasons of the show. Let's just be frank: season six was the poorest season of them all. Sure, the finale when Dee gives birth was pretty funny, but overall the show was lacking the hilarity as you saw from yesterday's list of funniest scenes.

Roxy the prostitute - favorite character of the premiere.
Credit: FX
Frank and Charlie's scenes were probably my favorite. The whole boiled denim, cowboy millionaire throwing up blood had me cracking up like the first time I saw "The Nightman Cometh." And Charlie's exclamation, "I think I have been poisoned by my constituents!" goes on the list of his best quotes. Surprisingly, Sweet Dee's scenes were hilarious as well, especially when she's shopping with Frank's prostitute, Roxy: "this is a classy establishment for classy people." I wish they didn't kill her off at the end because I think Roxy could have been a great character, up there with Artemis. I found myself laughing more at her lines than than I did during the scenes with Mac and Dennis.

I don't think I've caught on to the appeal of "Fat Mac" yet but I will give the show a chance to win me over with this change. I thought it was kind of weird that they just introduced this new Mac character with no subplot to back it up. I did think the scene with the doctor and pronouncing diabetes as "die-uh-bet-is" was pretty funny though.

Overall, a pretty solid episode and a great way to start the new season.

Archer: Heart of Archness: Part I

If you haven't been watching "Archer" then get on Netflix immediately and catch up! It's seriously one of my favorite television shows on right now and it never fails to make me laugh. I love every character on the show and their dialogue is hilariously inappropriate. This three-part episode gives audiences an "Archer" fix before the full season begins.

Archer's new look at the beginning of the premiere.
Credit: FX
The premiere starts where the finale ended with Archer missing for three months after the death of his Russian fiancee. Mallory Archer hires a man hunter to track down her son and bring him home.

I wouldn't say this was a strong episode in itself but I did enjoy the dialogue ("Be careful of Hitler, I heard he's a bad egg!") and I think it will lead into funnier parts two and three as Archer becomes the pirate king.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the voice of guest star, David Cross. I just finished watching Arrested Development and I was happy to hear what I pictured as Tobias in cartoon-form.

Unfortunately we'll have to wait till 2012 until the actual third season begins. But that means you have plenty of time to catch up on this amazing show, right?

What are your thoughts on the two premieres? Did you enjoy them? What were your favorite parts?

1 comment:

  1. Its always sunny was OK, hoping for a better episode 2. i will have to start watching archer...

    ReplyDelete