Thursday, October 6, 2011

FX Premiere of "American Horror Story"


I'm the type of person that loves a good horror movie. I remember several sleepovers in middle school where we watched classic horror films like "The Exorcist" and "Poltergeist" all night (we were probably too scared to sleep anyway). Lately, horror movies have been all about blood and guts rather than suspenseful plots like Alfred Hitchcock mastered in his time. And even more rare is a horror television show outside of the "Twilight Zone" format.

I may be in the minority (although it seems like reviews have been favorable thusfar), but I did enjoy "American Horror Story" that premiered on FX last night. Although it's another Wednesday night show to add to my expanding schedule, the show left me eager for the next episode. And despite the weird, sometimes cheesy scenes, I found myself unable to stop watching. Maybe that is what Glee co-creators, Ryan Murphy and Brad Fulchuk, wanted us to while watching their pilot. I definitely could see themes in the show similar to other famous thrillers like "The Shining" (The father is starting to go crazy inside the house) and "Rosemary's Baby" (Is Vivien pregnant with a demon baby?). There were cliffhangers ("Don't make me kill you again.") on top of cliffhangers and I hope that that Murphy and Fulchuk can keep up the hype that the first episode gave.  It's still too soon to tell if it's "good" but I'll definitely be watching the second episode.

What are your thoughts? Did you watch the premiere? Will you keep watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment