Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Music Review: Born To Die

Most people recognize the name Lana Del Rey because of her dreadful performances on SNL last month.  Her second CD, Born To Die, was released on January 27, 2012 to mixed reviews. I had a chance to listen to it myself and I personally think it's a fantastic album. I don't get how critics said it was boring and repetitive because Lana showed a lot of range despite having a sultry, airy voice. I think people are too hard on her because of her personal contraversies (she changed her name...seriously people that's big news?) and two crappy performances.

Let me start by saying that the girl can definitely sing. After her performance on SNL, I listened to her other live performances and she sounds 10x better than she did on television. Who knows if it was her nerves that got the best of her that night. If you don't believe me then you can listen for yourself here. Also, her first single "Video Games" is a fabulous track that will get stuck in your head after you hear it.

Plus, she co-wrote every song on the album which is commendable in this day and age in the pop music world. I'd like to hear more of Lana Del Rey (especially songs like "Born To Die") as her voice can be beautiful in a variety of different genres of music.  She gave us a little taste of her range in this album and I'm eager to hear more. The production of the songs on the album is also stellar.  I hope everyone gives this album a listen - it's a refreshing sound. Here are some of my favorite tracks besides her two singles:

1. Blue Jeans - A bluesy, folky song that is a little more low key than the second half of the album.

2. National Anthem - A more pop/hip hop track that is catchy and upbeat with violins in the background.

3. Dark Paradise - A powerful song with a great drum beat. The chorus really hits you.

4.  Million Dollar Man - A sexy, sultry song reminiscent of Nancy Sinatra.

5. This Is What Makes Us Girls - An anthem about being a girl always falling in and out of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment