Gotye whose real name is Wally De Backer (awesome name) is an indie musician who became an overnight sensation in the U.S. despite being well-known in his native Australia for a number of years. His hit single "Somebody That I Used To Know" with fellow Aussie musician Kimbra propelled him to international fame - and has been a song that I can't stop listening to and belting out at random moments.
Even though his third album, Making Mirrors, has been out for a couple of months, I finally had a chance to listen to it in its entirety after being obsessed with its hit single (he's released three other singles off the album but none have reached the success of "Somebody That I Used To Know").
This album is amazing. Gotye has so much versatility that I often forget that I'm listening to the same artist. He mixes rock, pop, a little hip hop, and even goes completely electronic by altering his voice in "State of The Art." He definitely reminds me of Sting in a way both in his Police days and as a solo artist. But don't think that that comparison means he's dated. I think a lot of people could listen to this album and find a song that they dig.
Here are some tracks with listening to:
1) Easy Way Out: The most recent single off the album. It's a more upbeat track that reminds me of The Kinks and early 70's rock.
2) Eyes Wide Open: A fast but somewhat haunting track that will get stuck in your head.
3) In Your Light: A happier, pop track that is reminiscent of Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" if it was sped up.
4) Save Me: Gotye really sounds like Sting in this song and it reminds me of the slow rock of the 80's.
No comments:
Post a Comment